This or That – Making Great Decisions – Choosing Surrender or Control (7/1/18)
Introduction: We are the sum total of the decisions that we have made.
- Whenever we're trying to control something that's not ours to control, it’s a reflection of a spiritual problem: In that area, we are trying to be like God.
- Proverbs 3:5,6
- Trust is a surrender word. It is to be completely in his hands.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways
Acknowledge Him – (submit to Him.)
– to know: an intimate knowing.
He will make our paths straight.
- Control is the opposite of trust.
- The fear cycle: The more that we try to control, the more we are afraid of losing control. The more afraid we are of losing control, the more we try to control.
- Abraham and Sarah: Control gone bad. (Genesis 16:1-4)
- What am I trying to control? [text]
B. Surrender gone right (Exodus 2:5-10)
C. Choosing Surrender over Control: Three Questions
1. Is it worth my concern?
- You can have control or you can have growth, but you can't have both.
2. Is it mine to control?
- Surrendering control does not mean relinquishing responsibility .
3. Is it for God alone?
- Is this one of those areas that I am trying desperately to control, but it's not mine to control? This one is for me to surrender to God.
D. Surrender: Trusting the outstretched arms.
Proverbs 3:5,6 (TPT)
Trust in the Lord completely,
and do not rely on your own opinions.
With all your heart rely on him to guide you,
And he will lead you in every decision you make.
Become intimate with him in whatever you do,
and he will lead you wherever you go.
Don’t think for a moment that you know it all,
- Job 11:13
- AA Step 3 We make a decision to turn our lives and our will over to the care of God.
- Let go and let God.