Texts: Genesis 2 Exodus 20:8 Matthew 11:28. Hebrews 4:1-10
1- Breaking our hidden addiction to “busy”
– In today’s world, busy is a code word for important
– We have been culturally programmed to feel if we are not busy, not productive, don’t have value.
Busyness is not just a disordered schedule, it’s a disordered heart
2- The Practice of Sabbath
– In Hebrew: Shabbat which means “Stop”
– The discipline of Sabbath allows you to cultivate a spirit of restfulness.
– Sabbath: a 24 hour period of time that begins sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.
– Genesis 2:3 God created a kind of rest that is a celebration. (delight)
The Sabbath is an entire day set aside to follow God’s example, stop, and delight in his world,
in your life in it, and above all, in God himself.
– Dan Allender
3- Why Rest?
– God built a rhythm into the fabric of creation: Work/rest
– God blessed the Sabbath day
– God made the day “holy”. (set apart) – God makes TIME holy.
– The Sabbath is not a day off, but a day to worship.
4- How to Rest?
– STOP – cease from all work, paid and unpaid.
– REST – do the things that restore and replenish you.
– DELIGHT – What brings me joy?
– CONTEMPLATE – focus on the love of God.
5- Remember the Sabbath
– Often we forget the things that matter most
– Live in a rhythm of work and rest