Series: Practice- Wow! Worship (10/13/2019)
Text: Psalm 105:1-3
- “Wow” – is a kind of word that is beyond definition.
- When a “wow” gets directed toward God we call it worship.
- We are commanded to practice worship. (Psalm 105)
Why does God constantly command us to praise and worship Him?
Anytime we see beauty or excellence or something that is admirable, our experience of it is actually incomplete until we’re able to express our joy. Joy naturally overflows in praise. – CS Lewis
- We were born primed to praise.
- We all have a “wow” threshold: the amount of goodness needed to trigger delight or thanksgiving.
The Worshipping Mind & The Non-worshipping Mind
|The worshiping mind (person) is open to joy… is very aware of gifts and grateful for them.||The non-worshiping mind is entitled.|
|The worshipping mind (person) is confident in God, and humble in themselves.||It is self-made, self-preoccupied,|
|They experience things as undeserved gifts on a regular basis.||They are easily irritated, easily discouraged.|
|They are generally happy.||They are generally ungrateful about the past and anxious about the future.|
“Praise almost seems to be inner health made audible.” – CS Lewis
Practicing the WOW! (Praise)
- We will offer wholehearted worship to God (I Corinthians 14:26)
- When the church gathers to worship God, I will be there worshiping. (Hebrews 10:25)
Psalm 22:3 “God inhabits the praises of his people.”
- We are able to experience God together in a way that we cannot quite experience separately.
- Your worship will encourage another person’s spirit.
- Come prepared to make God’s name glorious
Worship is like life: you get out of it what you put into it.
- We will offer to God, worship with our minds as well as with our spirit (I Corinthians 14:15)
“The only interaction you have with reality comes through your mind.” Dallas Willard
- Constant synonym for worship: to remember (Psalm 103, Eccl 5)
“I remember your name in the night, O Lord,” (Psalm 119:55)
- Jesus: Do this in remembrance of Me
- True worship begins in the mind…but it can’t just stay there.
- We will offer God worship as a way of life.
Taste and see that the Lord is good. (Psalm 34:8)
- In worship we choose JOY! (Php 4:4)
- How full does your cup have to be for it to produce joy and delight in you?
Have you ever verbally expressed your love to God?
October 24, 2019
October 01, 2019
August 15, 2019