Practice #1: Give up – Surrender
Practice # 2: Think up – Read the Bible
Practice #3: Look up
- Your vision is shaped by what you look at…
Look Up: Pray
- Prayer is choosing to look in the direction of God
- Prayer is a conversation with a person
- Core Prayer: “God, give me knowledge of your will for me and the power to carry it out.”
The Invitation to Pray:
Hebrews 4:14-16 When is our time of need? Every time, every moment Start every day with prayer Find a place to pray
- (Approach) God’s Throne
- More important than who wins the election in 2020 is who is on the throne
- Of grace
- It is a throne for the messed-up, the needy, and the desperate and the unclean; for the sinful and the failures, for the left out, and left behind.
- In Confidence
- We have a high priest (Jesus) who acts on our behalf
The Morning Prayer (taken from AA)
“God, direct my thinking so that it is divorced from self-seeking, dishonesty, self-will, self-pity, and fear. Inspire my thoughts, decisions, and intuitions. Help me to relax and take it easy. Free me from doubt and indecision.
Guide me through the day. Show me my next step. God, give me whatever I need to take care of (solve) any problem. I ask these things that I might be of maximum service to you and my fellow human beings. In Jesus’ name, …”
Once you pray: Listen
- Allow thoughts to come into your mind which may be from God.
- The Bible is full of people that God speaks to…
Look up: End the day with prayer
- Self- sufficiency: the biggest barrier to prayer