Getting Through the UnGet-Throughable – Jim Class Pt 1 (8/5/18)
Introduction: How do you get through a situation that feels like you want to give up or give in? Or feels like you can’t keep going?
Who is James? (v.1)
- This James is the younger brother of Jesus.
- At first, James did not believe Jesus was the Messiah. (John 6:7)
- After his resurrection, Jesus revealed himself to James by himself.
(I Corinthians 15:7)
- James is the head of the Jerusalem council.
What we learn about Suffering
1. Troubles are inevitalble.
- One reason we don’t suffer well is that our focus is on the here and now.
- Consider it = think about, reframe.
What you believe about the adversity you face will determine how you respond to it.
2. Suffering reveals our character.
- The trials we face don’t just test us. They reveal us.
3. Four areas that are developed ONLY through suffering.
- Humility (2 Corinthians 12:7)
- Freedom: At the core of suffering is something that is that you think you must have.
4. Suffering produces perseverance.
- Defined: to “remain under.”
- Also translated to endure. (ie. to stand your ground)