Focus – Priority ONE (2/2/2020)
Introduction: The power of paying attention
Reference: How to tame the wandering mind (Amishi Jha – TEDTALK)
– Because of information overload, the brain has an attention system which says: notice this, select this, direct your thoughts here.
– Attention amplifies: whatever you focus on becomes clearer and/or louder.
– Sometimes we pay attention to wrong things.
– Things like stress and boredom diminish the power of our attention.
**Our Challenge for 2020: Pay attention to God in your life.**
Priority: One Thing
What is the #1 priority in your life?
– David Psalm 27:4
– Paul Philippians 3:13
– Jesus: Luke 10:42
– Sits at the feet of Jesus
– Focused attention
– Welcoming Jesus
– She gets distracted
– She eventually loses it: Do you not care my sister has left me to do all the work by myself?
Martha’s priorities are twisted…Are mine?
Choose to pay attention to the one thing – to hear the voice of Jesus.
Our lives are full of the unnecessary.
– Martha’s priority was secondary.
– Mary chose the best part – what is that?
Choose to give your attention to Jesus. Spend time listening
– Luke 6:46-49. Whoever hears my words and puts them into practice
– Luke 8:20. Who are my brothers and sisters?
– Matthew 7:21-23. Many will say to me, “Lord, Lord”