Cross Examine: Designing Your Life
|I Corinthians 3:9-17|||
Introduction: In Corinth, where everyone was building their life around things like status, reputation, honor, and wealth, the Apostle Paul offers a different design: A life shaped by the Cross.
“You are God’s building”
- You get to choose the materials that will be used to build your life.
- Building your life is not primarily about your circumstances
- It’s your character that matters.
Two Types of Building Material
Fire = God’s judgment
“The main thing God gets out of your life is the person you become.” Dallas Willard
- What will I build my life with?
- Inner qualities
- The true nature of my inner life and of my character is actually known only to God.
- “Eulogy” virtues vs “Resume” virtues (David Brooks)
- What foundation will I build my life on?
- Your foundation is what you count on more than anything else. (default)
- It is what your heart depends on to make you secure when your world gets shaken.
- It is your ultimate commitment
“For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.” v11