Beyond: Why Prayer (3/10/19)
Does praying really matter? Does it make a difference?
What does the phrase “image of God” mean? (Genesis 1:27)
- In ancient near east culture, those who created statues (idols) believed that their god took up residence in that piece of wood or stone.
- We are the living statues of God. The one true living God takes up residence within us.
- In ancient near east culture, only one person was called “in the image of God”–the KING.
- According to Genesis 1:28 To be created in the image of God meant that we were created to rule and reign. Which means that we were created as kings/queens.
- The way we rule in God’s kingdom is VERY different than kings/queens rule in our world.
Why Prayer is so Important
- Throughout the Bible there are more if/then statements applied to prayer than to any other human activity.
- Communication is the essence of relationship.
- When we talk to God, it changes things
- In prayer we are invited to partner with God to bring about HIS will on earth. Prayer helps bring about God’s will in the world.
James 5:16 The fervent prayer of a righteous person accomplishes much.
- Not only is prayer an opportunity, it is a responsibility.
- Ask God to help you see beyond. (Hebrews 11:1)
- Say it out loud, when you pray
- Agree with others in prayer
- Pray without ceasing
- Pray about everything (even the small things)