“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead…”
– We are the people who live in between, so we have to hope.
– Hope is a confident expectation of the future.
Easter is NOT fake news
– It is not a form of “wish fulfillment”
– What makes that view virtually impossible is that for the people who experienced that first Resurrection, it was not a warm and fuzzy, feel-good event at all. ([Mark 16:8](https://biblia.com/bible/esv/mark/16/8). [Mt. 28:8](https://biblia.com/bible/esv/matthew/28/8), [John 20:16,17](https://biblia.com/bible/esv/john/20/16-17))
– The Resurrection was also not about people getting their wishes for immortality fulfilled which came later when Paul connected the Resurrection of Jesus with our resurrection.
– The most logical reason why they believed that Jesus was alive, is that Jesus was alive.
Easter Hope is about Meaning in Life
– Meaning can only happen from understanding the bigger picture.
Every life has all these fragmented experiences.
How do they fit? Do they mean anything?
– The predominant secular view: probably not
“In some remote corner of this sprawling universe, twinkling among the countless solar systems, there was once a star on which some clever animals invented knowledge. It was the most arrogant, most mendacious minute in world history, but it was only a minute. After nature caught its breath a little, the star froze, and the clever animals had to die. And it was time, too: for although they boasted of how much they had come to know, in the end they realized they had gotten it all wrong. They died and in dying cursed truth. Such was the species of doubting animals that had invented knowledge.” — Fredreich Nietzsche
– Jesus: your life has meaning, and you know this is true because you were made by God and are loved by God.
– We do not live meaningless, random lives.
– After the resurrection, Jesus disciples had to replay all that he said did – especially the cross.
What are you placing your hope in?
– Hope has a name: Jesus Christ